Cox's Cove, NL
Cox's Cove is a town in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. According to the 2006 Canada Census the town had a population of 646. Today, the small community is mainly based on the fishery, mink farm, and construction industry. Cox's Cove was originally settled in 1840 by Thomas O'Grady and George, John and William Cox, herring and lobster fishermen. At this time Cox's Cove was primarily a fishing and logging community located on the south side of Middle Arm in the Bay of Islands. The community was also a regular port of call for the northern coastal boats. Cox's Cove was designated a reception centre in 1965 under the first Federal-Provincial Community Consolidation Programme, and from 1965 to 1970 received families from the nearby communities of Penguin Arm and Brakes Cove. Cox's Cove was incorporated in 1969, and by 1980 had a full range of municipal services. In 1970 the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador established a new fish plant in the community. In 1979 Cox's Cove received a new water and sewerage system serving seventy per cent of the community. In 1981 the herring fishery and plant employed the majority of Cox's Cove's labour force. (Wikipedia, 2014).